Discover the perfect way to celebrate a birthday in Malibu Wine Country. Explore unique venues and wine tasting experiences in our Birthday guide to Malibu wine country!
Not far from the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles, the laid-back city of Malibu sits seaside, filled with hidden gems that make for a fun and relaxing outdoor birthday celebration. The Malibu area offers a unique collection of ocean activities, delicious food and wine, and outdoorsy educational adventures, making it an ideal location for foodies (or winos!), nature lovers, and people who are looking to have a great time in a beautiful place. From a vineyard hike or private wine tour with Malibu Wine Hikes, to Malibu Coastal Adventure’s ocean excursions, Malibu is the perfect spot for getting active outdoors and embracing the essence of adventure while enjoying the scenery with close friends and family. Malibu can be a fun day trip from LA or even a destination for a weekend celebration, with plenty of options for activities to mark your special occasion.
Why Choose Malibu for Your Birthday Celebration?
Malibu’s charm lies in its unique blend of oceanfront beauty, rolling hills, and vibrant community. The coastal town exudes a relaxed yet sophisticated atmosphere perfect for creating lasting memories. Whether you’re a local or visiting from afar, Malibu offers endless things to do as a serene escape from the everyday hustle and bustle, making it an ideal destination for a birthday celebration. From outdoor activities to jump-start your best year yet to enjoying some fantastic seafood and perhaps some wine harvested from local award-winning vineyards, Malibu has it all.
How to Celebrate Birthdays in Malibu
Malibu birthday celebrations entice those who focus primarily on three things—great outdoor activities, beautiful scenery, and finally, delicious food and beverages as the cherry on top of a fun day. Wine tastings, hiking, beach and ocean activities, and a hint of the glitz and luxury that Malibu often brings to mind are among the top considerations when deciding on Malibu as the ideal birthday celebration destination. These five activities strive to outline some adventures that will have you and your loved ones enjoying the fresh air and having a wonderful time as a guide shows you around Malibu.
For A Serene Day in Malibu – Take a Stroll through a Local Vineyard and Enjoy Wine Tastings
Lace up your tennis shoes and take a hike! Start your birthday celebration on a fun and physical note with an approximately 2.5-mile hike around a gorgeous vineyard on a Malibu wine tour. Saddlerock Ranch is a nearly 1,200-acre property in Malibu, nestled in the Santa Monica Mountains and surrounded by majestic rock formations, breathtaking views, and the vines that make up the refreshing Saddlerock brand wines. This two-hour tour is considered mild-to-moderate and perfect for all ages. During this tour, you can expect to learn about the vines, wine, and the history of Malibu. You’ll take beautiful pictures, possibly meet cute animals, get up close and personal with the vines and grapes, and take some wine home.
Cost range: $49 per person.
Reservations advised: Walk-ins may sometimes be accommodated, but reservations are always advised. Check malibuwinehikes.com to book a time slot.
For the Adventurous Birthday Outing – Hop in 4x4s and Cruise Around Saddlerock Ranch (You Can Be Passenger Princess, We’ll Drive!)
Feel the wind in your hair as you drive through the hills in a five-, seven-, or nine-seater vehicle, stopping to sip wine along the way. On this private wine tour, your guide will drive you and your celebration crew throughout the vineyard on Saddlerock Ranch, while educating guests about the vines, the wine made from the grapes harvested from the ranch, Malibu history, and the family that privately owns the property. Try several different wines during the exhilarating two-hour tour, take in jaw-dropping scenery and views, take adorable pictures with your closest friends and family, and enjoy a delicious charcuterie snack.
- Cost range: $425-$700 per vehicle depending the chosen vehicle.
- Reservations advised: Reservations are necessary to ensure a vehicle and tour guide are available. Check malibuwinehikes.com to book a time slot.
For The Flower Child’s Birthday – Take a VW Bus Wine Tour through Malibu’s Wine Country
Vintage VW busses are the quintessential Malibu exploration vehicle, and now you can celebrate your birthday while being chauffeured around in style! Be the envy of everyone on the road as a tour guide drives you and your five closest friends and family members around the vineyards on Saddlerock Ranch and the canyons of Malibu on unique wine tasting tour. This three-hour tour is jam-packed with delicious wine tastings, great photo ops, fun music, and a retro ride around the natural beauty that Malibu offers.
- Cost range: $625-$650 per vehicle.
- Reservations advised: Absolutely. There are a limited number of VW buses, so ensure you book before the time slots fill up at malibuwinehikes.com.
For the Animal-Lover’s Birthday – Ride Through the Malibu Hills Horseback with Malibu Riders
Giddy up and realize your horse-girl dreams as you and seven other adventurous friends hop on horseback to explore trails throughout Agoura Hills and Malibu with Malibu Riders! Beginners and advanced riders alike can mount up for a one-to-two-hour guided trail ride atop happy and well-mannered horses on one of five trail options. Several of these trails boast ocean views, so visit the website and choose the experience that most fits your interests. Malibu Riders has been facilitating horseback riding tours for over 25 years and, as a BONUS, is a woman-owned company.
- Cost range: $100-$200 per person, depending on the chosen trail.
- Reservations advised: Reservations are necessary. Check out dates and times at maliburiders.com.
For the Ocean Explorer – Take a Trip in the Pacific on a Private Boat with Malibu Coastal Adventures
Often, the ocean comes to mind when thinking of the city of Malibu. What better way to celebrate your Malibu birthday than to board a boat with your closest friends and family in Marina del Rey and charter a private, customizable boat adventure around the Malibu waters? Dave Ogle, a licensed U.S. Coast Guard Certified Captain, has been boating in the Southern California waters for over 40 years. He is excited to take you and your loved ones out on the open water for an educational and fun experience, which may include stand-up paddle boarding around seals and sea lions, entry-level fishing, snorkeling when the weather permits, or even surfing lessons! This is the ultimate boating experience for ocean lovers and nature enthusiasts.
- Cost range: Approximately $900 per boat ride.
- Reservations advised: Yes. Contact Dave at malibucoastaladventures.com to coordinate the time, date, and type of experience you are looking for during your adventure.
Where to get a Pre- or Post- Dinner Birthday Cocktail in Malibu
Malibu has an abundance of bars and restaurants around town that offer ocean views, fabulous sunsets, and delicious celebratory drinks. Wine, beer, and cocktails of all kinds are served at many oceanside locations, making these spots the perfect place to get pre-or-post-dinner birthday drinks and enjoy the lovely views and fresh ocean air. Most bars around Malibu are attached to restaurants, so grab a seafood appetizer to go with your beverage to take the edge off before a delightful birthday dinner.
Malibu Wines & Beer Garden
Found at a historic location in West Hills, Malibu Wines and Beer Garden is a gorgeous site that offers wine flights, beer, and regularly scheduled fun events, such as silent discos, different food trucks on the weekends, and 20-tap beer tastings. The estate wine found here is made from grapes grown on Saddlerock Ranch, which offers tours through Malibu Wine Hikes, and the beer is generally locally sourced from California breweries. As Saddlerock Ranch produces mainly red wine varietals, unique red blends such as King of the Mountain and Turtle Rock Cuvée are best sellers, though there are plenty of white, sparkling, and sweet options to choose from as well.
- Cost range:
- Beer is generally priced around $9-$10.
- Wine flights consist of several $9 tasters.
- Wines by the glass are priced from $12-$18.
- Reservations advised: Reservations are advised Friday-Sunday or if you are coming with a large group.
- Vibe check: Vibes at Malibu Wines and Beer Garden are casual and laid-back with a touch of wine-country elegance.
The Barefoot Bar at Duke’s Malibu
This fun Hawaiian-themed restaurant and bar sits directly over the water, with an outdoor deck that allows you and your crew to sit and sip while enjoying the fresh ocean air before heading off to the next birthday activity. Not only are the cocktails fun and tropical, the wine list curated, and the beers served on tap, but the bar food is delicious. While enjoying your drink at The Barefoot Bar, keep your eyes on the water, as dolphin and whale sightings are commonplace from the bar or deck. With an emphasis on seafood and American bar fare, there are plenty of options for quick bites to carry you over into dinner while having a drink or two, especially on Taco Tuesday! Two tacos with chips and salsa are priced at $14, and margaritas are $8. And these are good margaritas! Also, if you have a sweet tooth, don’t pass on the famous Hula Pie. Just trust us on this one.
- Cost range:
- Starters at the bar are generally priced around $14-$19.
- Bigger bar bites are priced at $18-$21.
- Beers cost around $9.
- Wine by the glass prices range from $12-$18.
- Cocktails cost around $15.
- Reservations advised: Walk-ins are always accepted at the bar, though the bar gets busy on weekend nights. For larger parties or for dining, reservations are advised.
- Vibe check: The Barefoot Bar is casual, light-hearted and fun. Surfers fresh from the waves can be found here grabbing some lunch or a drink, which should set the tone for the regular dress code at the bar.
Paradise Cove Cafe
Enjoy a tiki-style beverage served inside a coconut, pineapple, or watermelon at this fun and casual spot on the beach with your toes in the sand. Serving fun boba rum drinks, craft cocktails, margaritas, daiquiris, beer, and wine, Paradise Cove Cafe is the perfect spot to soak in the Malibu sunshine and feel as though you’ve been transported to an island paradise. If you’re looking for a quick snack while sipping, you can’t go wrong with the world-famous tacos, their delicious seafood appetizers, or the “Cheeseburger in Paradise.”
- Cost range:
- Appetizer prices range from $10-$20.
- Mix and match three tacos for $22.
- Burgers cost around $19.
- Wines by the glass are generally priced at $10.
- Cocktails are approximately $15.
- Reservations advised: Walk-ins are welcome. Make a reservation for a large party or on busy weekend evenings for dinner.
- Vibe check: This location is very casual and beachy. This is the perfect place to go if you’re looking for a fruity, fun drink such as a piña colada or a rum drink served in a tiki mug while you stick your toes in the sand.
Malibu Birthday Dinner Options
Malibu is known for its beautiful scenery and ocean views. With this in mind, restaurants on or overlooking the ocean will generally be the best choice when deciding on your special celebratory dinner location. When deciding which restaurant to visit on your birthday, the decision is usually based on location, menu, atmosphere, and photo opportunities. These three choices combine these deciding factors to ensure a delicious meal, great views, and a fun ambiance.
The Sunset Restaurant
The Sunset is a gorgeous restaurant directly across the street from Westward Beach in Malibu, mere feet from the sand, with a fantastic ocean view. The building is a historic beachside bungalow with many windows, a breezy porch, and, as one might expect, is a great place to view sunsets over the Pacific Ocean. This restaurant is known for having an amazing happy hour Monday to Thursday, from 3 pm until closing time, with great small bites, beer, wine, and cocktails. Menu favorites include fish tacos, calamari fritters, meatballs, and ahi tuna tartare. For dinner upstairs in the more formal dining room, the choices found on the seafood-rawbar menu are best sellers. If you’re not looking for seafood, though, not to worry! Chicken marsala, pumpkin tortelloni, wagyu beef bolognese, and steak are delicious options to sate your cravings. The house cocktails are especially tropical-themed and delicious, with notable items including the Giant Sunset Mai Tai, the Sunset Cocolada, the Strawberry Basil-Rita, and Espresso Martini.
- Cost range:
- Happy hour bites: $8-$13
- Starters: $14-$25
- Entrees and Seafood Rawbar: $22-$70 approximately.
- Reservations advised: For bar seating, walk-ins are welcome. For dining, reservations are advised.
- Vibe check: The vibes are beachy and classy-casual. Coming from the beach to grab a drink and a meal is common, so cute cover-ups, floppy hats, and board shorts are standard attire.
Whether you are looking for a fun brunch spot or a lovely dinner to watch the sunset, Moonshadows has a little bit of everything to keep diners of all ages happy. Deck and indoor seating allow guests to indulge in the ocean breeze or cozy up indoors while enjoying the casual-chic ambiance. Moonshadows can be found on the Pacific Coast Highway directly over the Pacific Ocean, making this an ideal place for pictures with ocean views. The cuisine is described as “seafood and signature dishes with Asian fusion and Italian and American influences.” Dinner menu highlights include lobster and crab linguine, tiger shrimp rigatoni, a 10 oz filet mignon, and half a dozen oysters. The wine list is extensive, and cocktail options include but are not limited to, fruity martinis, rum drinks, sake, and mezcal.
- Cost range:
- Appetizers range from $21-$29.
- Chowder and salads from $15-$26.
- Main courses from $35-$60.
- Reservations advised: For midday meals, walk-ins are welcome. Dinner time is generally quite busy, so dinner reservations are advised.
- Vibe check: The restaurant owner describes this restaurant as “chic casual,” and many would agree. Whether you show up dressed to the nines to celebrate your special day or if you show up more casually, you will be welcomed graciously.
Geoffrey’s is a must-see for a classy take on a gorgeous Malibu restaurant that sits on the cliffs of the Pacific Coast Highway over the ocean. Originally the Holiday House, a historic Malibu hotel, this Mediterranean-inspired building with panoramic ocean views can make your birthday feel like a big occasion. This restaurant offers delicious brunch, lunch, dinner, and dessert options, a full bar, beer, and a varied wine list. Brunch and lunch favorites include seasonal oysters, egg, scotch, and crab cake Benedicts, Paella, Chilean sea bass, and burgers. Dinner favorites are Surf n’ Turf, Wagyu New York Steak, Pacific Swordfish, and Chicken Roulade. A full bar, beer, and a curated wine list offer a wide range of great drinks.
- Cost range: Generally upscale prices.
- Reservations advised: Reservations are almost always recommended.
- Vibe check: This is the fanciest of the restaurants listed here, but there is no formal dress code. Dress to celebrate a fun occasion!
Where to Stay for a Malibu Birthday Weekend
There are many options for places to stay in Malibu and the surrounding area, whether you are looking to rent an AirBnb on the beach or stay in a quaint bed and breakfast in the nearby hills. Hotels are abundant near the Pacific Coast Highway and towns not far from the iconic city.
By the ocean (and we mean right by the ocean!)
- For a romantic couple’s retreat, AirBnB hosts a condo in Malibu on Carbon Beach, Suite Seven, which has one bedroom and one bath, currently for $650 a night.
- AirBnB hosts a larger Malibu home for up to six guests called The Surfrider Villa on Malibu Road, with three bedrooms and three bathrooms, currently going for $1,041 a night.
- Malibu Beach Inn on Carbon Beach offers gorgeous rooms with oceanfront views, a restaurant and award-winning bar called the Carbon Beach Club restaurant, a spa called Cure Daily Spa, and several packages to choose from on the website, which include Girl’s Getaway, from $700, a Wellness Package from $775, and a Romantic Retreat, which is also from $700. Prices per night are around $600 and up.
- The Surfrider Hotel is a chic stay on the beach on the Pacific Coast Highway across from Surfrider Beach. With views of the Malibu Pier, Surfrider Beach, or First Point in certain rooms, this is a great place to stay if you want to walk to some fun dining spots or just spend your days at the beach. The fantastic Roof Deck Bar and Restaurant is available to guests only, with ocean views, of course.
- Hotel June in Malibu is a gorgeous little hotel not far from El Matador State Beach, Point Dume, and Zuma Beach, with adorable bungalows and one of Malibu’s only hotel swimming pools. Prices range from $399-$609 a night.
- Calamigos Guest Ranch is a luxury eco-safe resort that offers many options for different rooms and ways to stay at this beautiful Santa Monica Mountain location. There are adorable bungalows and private cottages on a large 200-acre estate, with amenities that include a bar, gym, pool, spa, and café. Prices range from $840-$915 a night.
- Malibu Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast sits in the gorgeous Malibu Canyon, five miles from the Pacific Coast, near Zuma Beach and El Matador State Beach. Five rooms are available, with rates ranging from $145 to $195 a night. There is free Wifi, a full breakfast each morning, and free parking included.
Stay in nearby towns (for budgets of all kinds)
Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, and Agoura Hills all have lovely hotels that can be a bit more budget-friendly. Examples of this include:
How to Get to Malibu
Getting to Malibu is exceedingly simple if you are starting from Los Angeles. You can drive right along the stretch of ocean on the Pacific Coast Highway and see the iconic Malibu sights all the while, or you can take the freeway and end the drive by riding through the canyons in the Santa Monica Mountains, which are full of sweeping vistas and brushy wilderness. It’s a fun and gorgeous drive, whichever way you get to Malibu. Traffic allowing, the ride will take roughly 35 minutes, as it is only approximately 30 miles from LA to Malibu. However, traffic is typical in the mornings and afternoons. Keep traffic in mind if you have reservations for meals or tours in Malibu and plan on leaving early to arrive on time.
For locals, it’s generally a matter of selecting a designated driver and hopping in the car. For visitors, there are a few other matters to consider. It is usually worth renting a car for a trip around Malibu, as the area is not easily walkable. Using Lyft or Uber is another fine idea, but a word of warning is in order if your crew decides to get around this way. There are several locations in the Santa Monica Mountains where Uber and Lyft are tough to get, and as Malibu is a reasonably small (though long) coastal community, drivers for these apps can be hard to find when going short distances. Coordinating with the driver who picks you up on the first ride to come back and collect you for the next ride is a good idea. Or, go a step further and hire a driver for you and your celebration crew. It’s your day, and you’re worth it, after all!
Planning ahead of time who will pay for rides if you will be using drivers or rideshare apps is very important to help the day go smoothly. Decide amongst the group who will pay for meals, drinks, tours, and rides to ensure no fumbling or confusion throughout the day. Make sure you are tipping appropriately as well! In Malibu, tipping 20% is standard.
Celebrating your birthday is fun and exciting, especially outdoors in a beautiful place such as Malibu. Nothing is better to start your new age off right than to get active and take a wine hike in Malibu, a 4×4 wine tour, or a hop on VW wine tasting bus tour at a gorgeous vineyard, ride horses through the mountains to overlook the ocean, or set out to explore the ocean up-close and personal on a chartered boat with skilled tour guides to educate you along the way. To wrap up the day all about you, grab drinks and a birthday meal overlooking the beach and watch the sunset as the sun drops low over the Pacific Ocean, setting on your finished year and readying you for the next one.
The best piece of advice is to start planning early. Decide on an itinerary for you and your friends at least a month in advance to ensure that you get the best dates and times for your tours and reservations at the restaurants and bars that suit you and your celebratory mood best. Take a peek at the websites and reviews for any place you are considering spending time at, whether for tours, restaurants, or places to stay, so you know what you can expect. Most of all, have fun with the planning phase and dream up the ideal day that is all about celebrating you, then make it a reality! Malibu awaits!